If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you and your dependent family members will already have permission to work included with your visa.
Students granted Permission to Work
You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
- Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit
of 40 hours per fortnight if it:
- is of benefit to the community
- is for a non-profit organisation
- would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
- is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received—board and lodging acceptable).